1. The commander said that two________ would be sent to the Iraqi front the next day.
A. women’s doctor B. women doctors C. women’s doctors D. women doctor
2. “Look! The police ________ here to keep order! Go away quickly,” one of them shouted.
A. is coming B. comes C. are coming D. has come
3. She could not speak English, but made her wishes known by means of _____.
A. signs B. sighs C. movements D. words
4. In my opinion, what he told us just now about the affair simply doesn’t make any _____.
A. idea B. meaning C. sense D. point
5. Shelly had prepared carefully for her English examination so that she could be sure of passing it on her first _____.
A. intention B. attempt C. purpose D. desire
6. ________ food is kept in his new cave, but at last Saddam was still arrested.
A. Large quantities of B. A great deal of C. A large number of D. Quite a few
7. –– Let’s try operating the machine right now.
––Wait. Better read the _____first.
A. instructions B. explanations C. information D. introduction
8.The rest of the magazines________ within half an hour.
A. is sold out B. was sold out C. were sold out D. are sold out
9. You’d have more _____of catching the train if you took a bus to the station instead of walking.
A. opportunity B. chance C. time D. energy
10.The number of deer, mountain lions and wild roses________ much if people leave things________ they are.
A. doesn’t change; as B. aren’t changed; like C. don’t change; like D. don’t change; as
11. I knew I shouldn’t accept anything from such a person, but I found it difficult to turn down his _____.
A. offer B. suggestion C. request D. plan
12.________it is to gather with President Bush at such a special Thanksgiving Day in Iraq!
A. what a fun B. what fun C. how fun D. what joy
13. Oh., John________ you gave us!
A. How a great surprise B. how pleasant surprise
C. what a pleasant surprise D. what pleasant surprise
14 He is________ as a leader but he hasn’t________ in teaching.
A. success; many experiences B. a success; much experience
C. great success; an experience D. a great success; a lot of experiences
15 —Who did you spend last weekend with?
A. Palmer’s B. The Palmers’ C. The Palmers D. The Palmer’s
1. B。复合名词的复数中含有构词成分man / woman时，将变为men / women, 且所修饰的名词也要变成复数。
2. C。特殊类群体名词 police / cattle 做主语时，谓语动词用复数;“警察”个体用 policeman / policewoman;牛的个体用 a head of cattle。
3. A。signs指“手势”，还可用our expressions和gesture等body movements来表达思想。sigh意为“叹息”，words与前半句矛盾。
4. C。make sense是习语，意为“有道理”、“意义清楚”。
6. B。记住：a large / great / good quantity / amount of +复数名词或不可数名词，谓语动词用单数;large / great / good quantities / amounts of +复数名词或不可数名词，谓语动词用复数。
8. C。Most of / Half of / Part of / part of +名作主语,谓语与of后面的名词保持一致。本题中magazines是可数名词复数，故谓语动词用复数。
10. A。The number of + 名词复数，谓语常用单数;A. number of + 名词复数，谓语常用复数。
13. C。抽象名词有前置或后置修饰语时，前面用不定冠词，使之具体化; 如：A. happy life / a good education in that university / a wide knowledge of nature
14. B。表具有某种特性、状态、特点、情感、情緒的人和事;如：She is a success in cause but a failure in marriage.(成功者、失败者)
15. C。表示Palmer一家人，指一家人时常用the +姓氏的复数