To His Coy Mistress by Andrew Marvell

致羞怯的情人作者:安德鲁·马维尔

Had we but world enough, and time, this coyness, Lady, were no crime.

如果我们的世界够大,时间够多,小姐,这样的羞怯就算不上罪过。

We would sit down and think which way to walk and pass our long love's day.

我们会坐下来,想想该上哪边去散步,度过我们漫漫的爱情天。

Thou by the Indian Ganges' side shouldst rubies find:

你会在印度的恒河河畔寻得红宝石:

I by the tide of Humber would complain.

我则咕哝抱怨,傍着洪泊湾的潮汐。

I would Love you ten years before the Flood, and you should,

我会在诺亚洪水前十年就将你爱,你如果高兴,

if you please, refuse till the conversion of the Jews.

可以一直说不要,直到犹太人改信别的宗教。

My vegetable love should grow Vaster than empires, and more slow;

我植物般的爱情会不断生长,比帝国还要辽阔,还要缓慢;

An hundred years should go to praise thine eyes and on thy forehead gaze;

我会用一百年的时间赞美你的眼睛,凝视你的额眉;

Two hundred to adore each breast; But thirty thousand to the rest;

花两百年爱慕你的每个乳房,三万年才赞赏完其它的地方;

An age at least to every part, and the last age should show your heart;

每个部位至少花上一个世代,在最后一世代才把你的心秀出来。

For Lady, you deserve this state, nor would I love at lower rate.

因为,小姐,你值得这样的礼遇,我也不愿用更低的格调爱你。

But at my back I always hear Time's winged chariot hurrying near;

可是在我背后我总听见时间带翼的马车急急追赶;

And yonder all before us lie Deserts of vast eternity.

而横陈在我们眼前的却是无垠永恒的荒漠。

Thy beauty shall no more be found, Nor,

你的美绝不会再现芳踪,

in thy marble vault, shall sound My echoing song:

你大理石墓穴里,我的歌声也不会回荡:

Then worms shall try That long preserved virginity,

那时蛆虫将品尝你那珍藏己久的贞操,

And your quaint honour turn to dust, and into ashes all my lust:

你的矜持会化成灰尘,我的情欲会变成灰烬:

The grave's a fine and private place,

坟墓是个隐密的好地方,

but none, I think, do there embrace.

但没人会在那里拥抱,我想。

Now therefore, while the youthful hue sits on thy skin like morning dew,

因此,现在趁青舂色泽还像朝露在你的肌肤停坐,

and while thy willing soul transpires at every pore with instant fires.

趁你的灵魂自每个毛孔欣然散发出实时的火焰。

Now let us sport us while we may, and now,

此刻让我们能玩就玩个尽兴;此刻,

like amorous birds of prey, rather at once our time devour thanlanguish in his slow-chapt power.

像发情的猛禽宁可一口把我们的时光吞掉,也不要在慢嚼的嘴里虚耗。

Let us roll all our strength and all our sweetness up into one ball,

让我们把所有力气,所有甜蜜,滚成一个圆球,

and tear our pleasures with rough strife thorough the iron gates of life:

粗鲁狂猛地夺取我们的快感冲破一扇扇人生的铁栅栏:

Thus, though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

这样,我们虽无法叫太阳驻足,却可使他奔跑向前。

美诗鉴赏:To His Coy Mistress