【英语美诗】你所抵达的将永远是同一座城市

The City 《城市》-C.P.Cavafy

You said, "I will go to another land,

I will go to another sea.

你说:“我要去另一个国家,另一片海岸,

Another city will be found, better than this.

找另一个比这里好的城市。

Every effort of mine is condemned by fate;

无论我做什么,结果总是事与愿违。

and my heart is -- like a corpse -- buried.

而我的心灵被埋没,好像一件死去的东西。

How long in this wasteland will my mind remain.

我枯竭的思想还能在这个地方维持多久?

Wherever I turn my eyes, wherever I may look

I see the black ruins of my life here,

where I spent so many years, and ruined and wasted."

无论我往哪里转,无论我往哪里瞧,

我看到的都是我生命的黑色废墟,在这里,

我虚度了很多年时光,很多年完全被我毁掉了。”

New lands you will not find, you will not find other seas.

你不会找到一个新的国家,不会找到另一片海岸。

The city will follow you.

这个城市会永远跟踪你。

You will roam the same streets.

你会走向同样的街道,衰老

And you will age in the same neighborhoods; in these same houses you will grow gray.

在同样的住宅区,白发苍苍在这些同样的屋子里。

Always you will arrive in this city.

To another land -- do not hope --

你会永远结束在这个城市。

不要对别的事物抱什么希望:

there is no ship for you, there is no road.

那里没有载你的船,那里也没有你的路。

As you have ruined your life here in this little corner,

you have destroyed it in the whole world.

既然你已经在这里,在这个小小的角落浪费了你的生命

你也就已经在世界上的任何一个地方毁掉了它。

选自《卡瓦菲斯诗集》

黄灿然 译 / 重庆大学出版社 / 2014-1

英文美诗鉴赏:The City《城市》